The Temple of Edfu, one of the best-preserved temples today that was dedicated to the god Horus and is located in the city of Edfu, on the west bank of the Nile River and is a great tourist spot to visit on your trip to Egypt.
Edfu, which can also be written as Edfu and is called Behdet in the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics, it is a small Egyptian town, located on the west bank of the Nile River between the ancient Thebes, Luxor nowadays and Aswan, with a population of about 60,000 inhabitants. Edfu is the site of the famous Ptolemaic Temple of Horus and has an ancient settlement that goes back as early as 3000 B.C, It was known back in the Hellenistic period as Koine Greek or the Biblical Greek, or in Latin as Apollonopolis Magna as the chief deity of the region, God Horus, was known in Latin as Apollo.
One of the most beautiful temples in the whole of Egypt which you can recognize how the Horus god beat the Set god and the good won over the evil, you can see the falcon in the open court of the temple its amazing statue, as that the temple in the west bank in the Nile river
Horus of Behdet was the local god of Edfu according to the ancient Egyptian religion, and his wife was Hathor of Dendera, where a very famous temple for her known as Dendera Temple. Their annual ritual was one of the most important ceremonies of the Ptolemaic period. Later, this god was identified with Horus, the son of Osiris who was one of the ancient Egyptian gods associated with the underworld.
The winged sun disk associated with Horus of Edfu is the symbol of united Egypt. This motif was a traditional scene depicted on the temple doors and ceilings in order to commemorate Horus' victory over his uncle, the evil Seth who killed his father when Isis collected his body organs that were scattered everywhere in Egypt in very dramatic mythology known as the myth of Isis and Osiris.
Like at Esna, the temple of Edfu is one of the most important sites included within all Egypt Nile River Cruises and also among most of Egypt Travel Packages, Egypt Day Tours, and Aswan day tours. It was constructed during the Greco-Roman era, but still retains its Egyptian style of architecture. As a result, a visit to Edfu allows you to see what all of the other ruined temples around Egypt might have been looked like.
The town is known for the great Ptolemaic-style temple, built between 237 and 57 B.C, during the reign of the famous Queen Cleopatra VII. Of all the temple remains in Egypt, the Temple of Horus at Edfu is the most extensively preserved. It was built out of sandstone blocks, the enormous Ptolemaic temple was constructed over the site of a smaller new kingdom temple facing the Nile. The later structure faces north to south and leaves the ruined remains of the older temple's pylon to be observed on the east side of the 1st court.
Being located at the center of the Edfu town, by the 19th century, the village had been enlarged into the temple with some houses actually standing on the roof of the sand-buried temple. Now the buildings had been cleared away but the excavations are still taking place as surrounding buildings were part of the temple complex itself, only several meters below the modern ground level.
The temple is flawless and marvelous, with the pylon that was built by Cleopatra’s great father during the 1st century before Christ, which leads into a peristyle court and then a hypostyle hall that leads to the sanctuary of Horus, the greatest and most important part of the temple. The ruins of which can be seen at many other sites around Luxor and along the Nile Valley are almost the same style. The Temple of Horus at Edfu is by far the most complete example of this unique architectural style.
The ruins of one of the seven little local step pyramids built along the Nile Valley has been found about 5 km to the south of the current city of Edfu near the village of Naga El-Goneima. The pyramid is made out of the local red-colored sandstone and rises at 5.5 m high. The pyramid has been constructed most probably by King Huni of the third Dynasty. The main aim of those pyramids is incredibly strange and mysterious. Further excavations and a detailed survey are carried out by the Oriental Institute at Chicago University since 2010.
Planning any tours to Egypt? or from our varieties of tours from Cairo, you can easily see the magnificent Temple of Edfu with Cairo Top Tours.
Egypt tours are numerous and different, Egypt Day tours make it easier for you to visit the amazing temple of Edfu as well as many other places and wonderful sites, you can even combine Edfu and Kom Ombo tours with the assistance of our specialized tour operators:
- Egypt Tour Itineraries | Itineraries in Egypt.
= Egypt Excursions | The 10 Best Day Tours in Egypt.
- Egypt Shore Excursions 2020\2021 | The 10 Best Excursions (From Egyptian Ports).
- Cairo Tours | Cairo Day Trips | Cairo Excursions | Cairo Sightseeing Tours | Things to do in Cairo.
- Cairo Day Tours from Airport | Day Tours from Cairo Airport | Cairo transit tours | Cairo Layover.
- Cairo Half Day Tours | Cairo Private Tours.
- Cairo Overnight Tours | Cairo Layover tours.
- Egypt Pyramids Tours | Giza Pyramids Tours | Tours in Giza.
- Luxor tours | Luxor Excursions | Luxor day Tours | Luxor Day Trips | Luxor Sightseeing tours.
- Sharm El Sheikh Day Tours | Sharm El Sheikh excursions | Things to do in Sharm.
- Hurghada Day Tours | Day Tours From Hurghada | Hurghada Excursions.
- Alexandria Shore Excursions | Shore Excursions from Alexandria Port.
- Port Said Shore Excursions | Shore Excursions from Port Said.
- Shore Excursions from Safaga Port | Safaga shore excursions.
- Shore Excursions from Sokhna Port | Sokhna Port Shore Excursions.
- Pyramids Tour from Cairo Airport.
- Day tour to Giza pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Day tour to Giza pyramids & Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara and Dahshur.
- Cairo day tour to Saqqara, Memphis and Dahshur.
- Day Tour to Giza Pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Mount Sinai Tours from Cairo.
- Cairo Stopover Transit Tour.
- Cairo Short Break | Cairo city break.
- Half day tour to Giza Pyramids and Sphinx.
- Bahariya Oasis and White Desert tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Luxor from Cairo by flight.
- Day trip to Alexandria from Cairo.
- Snorkeling trip to Ain Sokhna from Cairo.
- Suez Canal Day Trip from Cairo.
- Egypt classic tours | Classic Packages to Egypt.
- 8 Days Cairo and the Nile Cruise by Air | Travel Packages in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Alexandria tour package | Egypt Package Tour from Cairo.
- 7 Days Cairo and Sharm El Sheikh Tour | Egypt Vacation Packages.
- 13 Days Cairo, Nile Cruise and The Oasis Tour | the best of Egypt holidays all inclusive.
- Cairo and White Desert Adventure Tour | Egypt Vacations.
- Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan | Egypt Nile Cruise Luxor and Aswan.
- 3 Days Cairo Stopover | Cairo Short Break | Egypt Short Vacation.
- 4 Days Cairo Short Break Tour | Cairo Stopover.
- Cairo, Nile Cruise and Red Sea Tour.
- Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Aswan holiday package.
- 7 Days Cairo and The Nile Cruise Vacation | Travel package in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Luxor Vacation | Tour Packages in Egypt.
Enjoy sailing on the blue water through the 2 verdant strips on both sides twisting throughout the golden desert when you book your Egypt Nile river cruise tours. And experience the sunny weather of our beautiful country even during Egypt Christmas tours or Egypt Easter 2022. We will save you from the hassle and include some of the best hotels and boats all over the cities you are going to visit through Egypt travel packages, but if you like to book your own hotel we have professionally customized a wide variety of Egypt day tours for you, start in the city that never sleeps and explore our Cairo day tours which covers all the archeological sites and entertainment places beginning from Giza pyramids and the famous Sphinx to the Egyptian museum located in El Tahrir square to see the golden mask of king Tutankhamen. And if you feel like camping in one of the most fascinating desert worldwide we have created the white desert tours. Travel safely with us to upper Egypt and book from our Luxor day trips and travel farther sout to the amazing Nubia and explore all the options that our Aswan day trips can give you.