Memphis is one of the most intriguing archeological sites and things to do in Cairo. it was the ancient capital of Egypt well-known anciently as 'Inebu-hedge', the name that could not be pronounced by the Greeks so they called it after the name of one of the pyramids in the location of the city, the pyramid is called Mn Nefer which means pretty and stable. Mn-Nefer was corrupted to be Memphis then Arabs could not say it so they called the city Manf, and this name was finally pronounced by modern Egyptians as Mit-Rahina and that remains as the current name where such a cosmopolitan city used to be. anciently it was the first name of Lower Egypt at that time, It was founded by the pharaoh Menes and was the Capital of Egypt during the Old Kingdom, ts ruins are found near ( Mit Rahina) town around 20 km south of Giza. It is at a strategic position at the mouth of the Nile Delta that's why it remained an essential city throughout ancient Egyptian history. Its principal port contained a high density of warehouses that distributed food and merchandise throughout the ancient kingdom. Workshops, factories, and you have to remember that during its golden age, Memphis thrived as a regional center for commerce, religion, and trade.
In a limited archaeological area where the temple of Ptah was located, Ptah is considered the chief divinity of Memphis, he was worshipped as the creator god, and his wife Sekhmet and their son is Nefertum.
There are some colossal statues exhibited in the modern museum of Mit Rahina, the largest is the one depicting Ramses II found demolished and mutilated, originally more than 13 m high.
Memphis became the capital of Ancient Egypt for 1000 years over eight consecutive dynasties during the Old Kingdom. It reached its peak of prestige under the 6th dynasty as a center for the worship of Ptah, the god of creation and artworks. The Temple of Ptah which guarded by the alabaster sphinx serves as a memorial of the city's former power and prestige. The Memphis triad who is consisting of god Ptah, his wife Sekhmet, and their son Nefertem, made the main focus of worship in the city.
Memphis declined during the 18th dynasty with the rise of Thebes and it was restored during the rest of the New Kingdom and also under the Persians before being ignored again following the foundation of Alexandria. During the Roman Empire, Alexandria continued as the most important Egyptian city. The second city of Egypt till the establishment of Fustat (or Fostat) in 641 CE remained Memphis. Lately, it was largely deserted and became a source of stone for the surrounding settlements. Now, still, it's still got an impressive set of ruins that belong in the twelfth century but soon became a little more than an expanse of low ruins and scattered stone.
Memphis believed to be under the protection of the god Ptah, the patron of artists. Its magnificent temple, Hut-ka-Ptah was one of the most leading structures in the city at that time and there is no doubt that the ruins of the former capital today offer fragmented proof of its past. They have been protected, along with the pyramid complex at Giza, as a World Heritage Site since 1979. The site is open to the public as an open-air museum.
If you're planning to visit Egypt, then you should consider reviewing our detailed Egypt travel guide, as it is a very unique experience during Egypt Tours that is not comparable with any other things to do in Egypt. You can enjoy one of the Classic tours in Egypt, that all travelers would like to cruise the Nile River during Christmas tours in Egypt or while the best weather during Easter tours in Egypt. Covering most of Cairo day trips, Luxor day tours in addition to Aswan excursions, that is why our travel information section is meant to useful before proceeding with Egypt's best tours for those who seek culture, history of Egypt, and luxurious accommodation while sailing the Nile Valley.
Today the open-air museum where Memphis used to stand is among one of the most visited places during a lot of Egypt Tours that are listed here:
through Cairo layover we can take you on some of our Cairo Day Tours from the Airport:
or throughout your visit to Egypt, we can pick up you to do full Cairo Day Tours and Egypt Day Tours:
- Day Tour to Giza Pyramids, Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara, and Dahshur | Pyramids Tour.
Most of Egypt Travel Packages would be covering the area of Memphis:
Planning any tours to Egypt? or from our varieties of tours from Cairo, you can easily see Memphis city with Cairo Top Tours.
Egypt Travel Packages and Egypt Day Tours Including the out-door museum in Memphis and much more historical sites and amazing places:
- Pyramids, Nile Cruise & Sharm El Sheikh
- Tour to Giza pyramids, the Egyptian Museum, Old Cairo and Khan El Khalili
- Pyramids Tour from Cairo Airport
- Half-Day Tour to Egyptian Museum
- Day tour to Giza pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Day tour to Giza pyramids & Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara and Dahshur.
- Cairo day tour to Saqqara, Memphis and Dahshur.
- Tour to Giza Pyramids.
- Cairo day to tour to Saqqara and Memphis.
- Old Cairo Tour | Egyptian Museum Tour.
- Day Tour to Giza Pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Quad Biking around Giza Pyramids.
- Mount Sinai Tours from Cairo.
- Day Tour to El Fayoum from Cairo.
- Cairo Stopover Transit Tour.
- Cairo Short Break | Cairo city break.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids, Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara and Dahshur.
- Half day tour to Giza Pyramids and Sphinx.
- Bahariya Oasis and White Desert tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Luxor from Cairo by flight.
- 2 Days Safari to the white desert and Bahariya oasis tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Alexandria from Cairo.
- 3 Days Bahariya Oasis Tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Alexandria from Cairo.
- Cairo Stopover Tour.
- Cairo Layover Tours to Giza Pyramids and Sphinx from Cairo airport.
- Giza Pyramids sound and light show.
- Felucca Ride on the Nile in Cairo.
- Nile Dinner Cruise in Cairo.
- Coptic and Islamic Cairo Tour.
- Snorkeling trip to Ain Sokhna from Cairo.
- Day Tour to the Red Sea El Ain El Sokhna from Cairo.
- El Alamein Day Tour from Cairo.
- Suez Canal Day Trip from Cairo.
- Day tour to the Camel Market in Cairo.
- Pharaonic Village tour in Cairo.
- Day tour to Tanis, Bubastis and the Suez Canal from Cairo.
- Two days trip to El Minya from Cairo.
- Cairo day tour to Saqqara, Memphis and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Half day tour to the Egyptian Museum.
- Tanoura dance show in Cairo.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids and Saqqara Necropolis from Cairo.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids and Memphis City.
- Cairo Day Trip to Giza Pyramids and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Cairo Day Tour to Sakkara and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Tour to Giza Pyramids and Meidum from Cairo.
- Siwa Oasis from Cairo.
- 11 Days Egypt Tour | 11 Day s Egypt Itinerary.
- Egypt Luxury Tours | Luxury Egypt Tour Packages | Best of Egypt Tours.
- 8 Days Egypt and the Nile Cruise Luxury Tour.
- Egypt Luxury Tour 12 Days to Cairo Nile Cruise and The Red Sea | Egypt Luxury tour packages.
- 12 Days Cairo, Nile Cruise and Lake Nasser Cruise Luxury Tour.
- 10 Days and The Nile Cruise Luxury Tour | Egypt Luxury Vacations.
- 8 Days Cairo and Dahabeya Luxury Travel | Egypt Luxury Private Tours.
- Cairo, Aswan and Luxor Travel in style | Egypt Luxury Travel.
- 12 Days Cairo, Alexandria, The Nile Cruise and Hurghada Luxury Travel.
- 10 Days Egypt Luxury Tour Package | Luxury Egypt Tours.
- 10 Days Luxury Package to Egypt | Egypt 10 days Luxury Itinerary.
- 11 Days Egypt Luxury Tour | Luxury Egypt Tour Package.
- Egypt Easter Tours 2020 | Easter Tours in Egypt | Egypt Travel during Easter.
- 8 days Cairo and the Nile by Air during Easter | Easter Travel Packages in Egypt.
- 7 days Cairo and Sharm El Sheikh Easter Tours.
- 5 days Cairo and Alexandria holiday package during Easter | Egypt Easter tours.
- 4 days Cairo Short Break During Easter | Egypt Easter Holidays | Easter Trip to Egypt.
- 12 days Egypt Easter vacations | Easter Travel Package to Egypt.
- 12 Days Cairo, The Nile Cruis and Hurghada during Easter.
- 10 Days Egypt Easter Tour Package.
- 10 Days Egypt Easter Package.
- 11 Day Egypt Easter Tours 2020\2021 | Egypt Tour Package.
- MS Mayfair Egypt Nile River Cruise During Easter 2021.
- 4 Days Movenpick Royal Lily Nile Cruise during Easter 2021.
- Egypt Nile River Cruise Tours | Lake Nasser Cruise | Egypt Nile Cruises 2020\2021.
- Special Offers Egypt Holidays | Egypt Hot Deals.
- Egypt Tour Itineraries | Itineraries in Egypt
- Egypt Itinerary 1 Day Tour | Cairo 1 Day Itinerary
- Egypt 3 Days Itinerary | Egypt Itinerary 3 Days
- Egypt Itinerary 4 Days | 4 Days in Egypt Itinerary
- Egypt 5 Days Itinerary | Egypt 5 Days Tour Package.
- Cairo by Night Tour.
- Nile Cruise Cairo Lunch.
- Cairo Shopping Tour.
- Tour to Pyramids, Egyptian Museum and Coptic Cairo.
- Egypt classic tours | Classic Packages to Egypt.
- 8 Days Cairo and the Nile Cruise by Air | Travel Packages in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Alexandria tour package | Egypt Package Tour from Cairo.
- 7 Days Cairo and Sharm El Sheikh Tour | Egypt Vacation Packages.
- 13 Days Cairo, Nile Cruise and The Oasis Tour | the best of Egypt holidays all inclusive.
- Cairo and White Desert Adventure Tour | Egypt Vacations.
- Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan | Egypt Nile Cruise Luxor and Aswan.
- 3 Days Cairo Stopover | Cairo Short Break | Egypt Short Vacation.
- 4 Days Cairo Short Break Tour | Cairo Stopover | Egypt Short Vacation.
- Cairo, Nile Cruise and Red Sea Tour.
- Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Aswan holiday package.
- 7 Days Cairo and The Nile Cruise Vacation | Travel package in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Luxor Vacation | Tour Packages in Egypt.
- 6 Days Cairo and Nile Cruise Vacation | 6 Days holiday Package in Egypt.
- Vacation Packages to Egypt | Pyramids, Nile Cruise, and Sharm El Sheikh Tour Package.
- 12 Days Cairo, Alexandria, The Nile Cruise and Hurghada Travel.
- 10 Days Egypt private tour package | Egypt Budget Tours.
- 10 Days Package to Egypt | Egypt 10 Days Itinerary.