Each year, the level of the Nile River rose and the water covered the entire Nile Valley, then retreated leaving fertile deposits of alluvial soil. Sometimes, however, the water did not flood the whole agricultural area and this led to poor crops and sometimes famine. To predict the size of the crops from year to year, the ancient Egyptians built a series of wells called Nilornetri, one of which is still visible, carved in the rocks of the island of Roda.
The island of El-Roda, which faces Old Cairo in the southern part of the city, has been inhabited since the age of the pyramids. It was used both as a port and as a shipyard. The Romans built a fortress there, the twin of that of Babylon.
The island is no longer that heavenly garden described in the Thousand and One Nights, but fortunately modern residential buildings have not invaded the southern tip of the island, which is still a pleasant area and houses the Nilometer.
In ancient times the river was much wider, today only a narrow channel separates the island and the Corniche on the other side, crossed by a wooden footbridge that connects the Nilometer to Coptic Cairo.
In the image on the left, the Nilometer seen from the then home of Suleiman Pasha, around 1880.
Given its favorable geographical position, this place has always been home to miles. The current one dates back to the year 861 but has obviously undergone various modifications and renovations: the conical dome kiosk that covers it is the modern remake of a Turkish building.
The Nilometer consists of a large well covered with stone, communicating with the river bed, on the bottom of which there is an octagonal column that acts as a graduated scale. If you suffer from vertigo remember that the narrow staircase that goes down is not provided by a handrail. Water entered this well from three tunnels, now closed, each placed at a different height.
The water level was assessed during an annual ceremony: if it was of a sufficient level, the celebrations began, otherwise, a period of intense prayer and fasting began, in ancient times also associated with sacrifices for the river gods.
The decoration visible today also includes four-pointed niches, similar to the Gothic arches of medieval European architecture; however, they precede the Gothic style of some hundreds of years and it has been hypothesized that they constitute the first example of pointed arches in the world. Although not particularly old, the elaborate carved and painted arabesques on the wooden ceiling are truly extraordinary.
If you're planning to visit Egypt, then you should consider reviewing our detailed Egypt travel guide, as it is a very unique experience during Egypt Tours that is not comparable with any other things to do in Egypt. You can enjoy one of the Classic tours in Egypt, that all travelers would like to cruise the Nile River during Christmas tours in Egypt or while the best weather during Easter tours in Egypt. Covering most of Cairo day trips, Luxor day tours in addition to Aswan excursions, that is why our travel information section is meant to useful before proceeding with Egypt's best tours for those who seek culture, history of Egypt, and luxurious accommodation while sailing the Nile Valley.
Planning any tours to Egypt? or from our varieties of tours from Cairo, you can easily see the Roda Nilometer in Cairo with Cairo Top Tours.
Egypt Travel Packages and Cairo Day Tours including the Roda Nilometer in Cairo and other amazing highlights of Egypt:
- Cairo and the Nile by Air 8 Days 7 Nights
- Pyramids, Nile Cruise & Sharm El Sheikh
- Tour to Giza pyramids, the Egyptian Museum, Old Cairo and Khan El Khalili
- Pyramids Tour from Cairo Airport
- Half-Day Tour to Egyptian Museum
- Day tour to Giza pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Day tour to Giza pyramids & Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara and Dahshur.
- Cairo day tour to Saqqara, Memphis, and Dahshur.
- Tour to Giza Pyramids.
- Cairo day to tour to Saqqara and Memphis.
- Old Cairo Tour | Egyptian Museum Tour.
- Day Tour to Giza Pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Quad Biking around Giza Pyramids.
- Mount Sinai Tours from Cairo.
- Day Tour to El Fayoum from Cairo.
- Cairo Stopover Transit Tour.
- Cairo Short Break.
- Cairo city break.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids, Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara and Dahshur.
- Half-day tour to Giza Pyramids and Sphinx.
- Bahariya Oasis and White Desert tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Luxor from Cairo by flight.
- 2 Days Safari to the white desert and Bahariya oasis tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Alexandria from Cairo.
- 3 Days Bahariya Oasis Tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Alexandria from Cairo.
- Cairo Stopover Tour.
- Cairo Layover Tours to Giza Pyramids and Sphinx from Cairo airport.
- Giza Pyramids sound and light show.
- Felucca Ride on the Nile in Cairo.
- Nile Dinner Cruise in Cairo.
- Coptic and Islamic Cairo Tour.
- Snorkeling trip to Ain Sokhna from Cairo.
- Day Tour to the Red Sea El Ain El Sokhna from Cairo.
- El Alamein Day Tour from Cairo.
- Suez Canal Day Trip from Cairo.
- Day tour to the Camel Market in Cairo.
- Pharaonic Village tour in Cairo.
- Day tour to Tanis, Bubastis and the Suez Canal from Cairo.
- Two days trip to El Minya from Cairo.
- Cairo day tour to Saqqara, Memphis and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Half-day tour to the Egyptian Museum.
- Tanoura dance show in Cairo.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids and Saqqara Necropolis from Cairo.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids and Memphis City.
- Cairo Day Trip to Giza Pyramids and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Cairo Day Tour to Sakkara and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Tour to Giza Pyramids and Meidum from Cairo.
- Siwa Oasis from Cairo.
- Cairo by Night Tour.
- Nile Cruise Cairo Lunch.
- Cairo Shopping Tour.
- Tour to Pyramids, Egyptian Museum and Coptic Cairo.
- Egypt classic tours | Classic Packages to Egypt.
- 8 Days Cairo and the Nile Cruise by Air | Travel Packages in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Alexandria tour package | Egypt Package Tour from Cairo.
- 7 Days Cairo and Sharm El Sheikh Tour | Egypt Vacation Packages.
- 13 Days Cairo, Nile Cruise, and The Oasis Tour | the best of Egypt holidays all-inclusive.
- Cairo and White Desert Adventure Tour | Egypt Vacations.
- Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan | Egypt Nile Cruise Luxor and Aswan.
- 3 Days Cairo Stopover | Cairo Short Break | Egypt Short Vacation.
- 4 Days Cairo Short Break Tour | Cairo Stopover | Egypt Short Vacation.
- Cairo, Nile Cruise and Red Sea Tour.
- Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor, and Aswan holiday package.
- 7 Days Cairo and The Nile Cruise Vacation | Travel package in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Luxor Vacation | Tour Packages in Egypt.
- 6 Days Cairo and Nile Cruise Vacation | 6 Days holiday Package in Egypt.
- Vacation Packages to Egypt | Pyramids, Nile Cruise, and Sharm El Sheikh Tour Package.
- 12 Days Cairo, Alexandria, The Nile Cruise, and Hurghada Travel.
- 10 Days Egypt private tour package | Egypt Budget Tours.
- 10 Days Package to Egypt | Egypt 10 Days Itinerary.
- 11 Days Egypt Tour | 11 Day s Egypt Itinerary.
- Egypt Luxury Tours | Luxury Egypt Tour Packages | Best of Egypt Tours.
- 8 Days Egypt and the Nile Cruise Luxury Tour.
- Egypt Luxury Tour 12 Days to Cairo Nile Cruise and The Red Sea | Egypt Luxury tour packages.
- 12 Days Cairo, Nile Cruise, and Lake Nasser Cruise Luxury Tour.
- 10 Days and The Nile Cruise Luxury Tour | Egypt Luxury Vacations.
- 8 Days Cairo and Dahabeya Luxury Travel | Egypt Luxury Private Tours.
- Cairo, Aswan and Luxor Travel in style | Egypt Luxury Travel.
- 12 Days Cairo, Alexandria, The Nile Cruise, and Hurghada Luxury Travel.
- 10 Days Egypt Luxury Tour Package | Luxury Egypt Tours.
- 10 Days Luxury Package to Egypt | Egypt 10 days Luxury Itinerary.
- 11 Days Egypt Luxury Tour | Luxury Egypt Tour Package.
- Egypt Christmas tours 2020\2021 | The best Egypt new year tours (Christmas packages).
- 9 days Cairo and Xmas Nile Cruise by Train | Egypt Christmas Holidays 2020.
- 8 Days Cairo and Christmas Nile Cruise by Flight | Egypt Christmas and New Year tours 2020\2021.
- New Year in Egypt 2020\2021 Holidays and Nile Cruise | Egypt Christmas Holidays.
- 4 Days Cairo Short Break during Christmas.
- Cairo, The Nile and Hurghada Christmas Travel | Egypt Christmas tours.
- 10 Days Egypt Christmas Package Tour.
- 10 Days Egypt Christmas tour package.
- 5 Days Cairo and Luxor Holiday during the Christmas | Egypt Christmas Travel | Egypt Christmas and New Year Tours.
- 11 Day Egypt Christmas Tour Package | Christmas tours in Egypt.
- MS Mayfair Christmas Nile Cruise Tours | Xmas and New Year Nile Cruises.
- Special Offers Egypt Holidays | Egypt Hot Deals.
- Egypt Tour Itineraries | Itineraries in Egypt
- Egypt Itinerary 1 Day Tour | Cairo 1 Day Itinerary
- Egypt 3 Days Itinerary | Egypt Itinerary 3 Days
- Egypt Itinerary 4 Days | 4 Days in Egypt Itinerary
- Egypt 5 Days Itinerary | Egypt 5 Days Tour Package.