The architect, Yousif Boushnaq designed the plans of the mosque, based on the Sultan Ahmed Mosque in Istanbul, and the construction began in 1830 A.D. The work continued until the death of Mohamed Ali in 1849 and was restarted and finished during the reign of his successors. Muhamed Ali was buried in a tomb situated on the south-eastern side of Beit Al Salah, on the right side of the entrance leading to the main section.
In 1899, the Mosque revealed signs of cracking, and repairs were begun because it is considered one of the important Islamic relics and things to do in Cairo, just some of these repairs were not sufficient. Therefore, in 1931, during the reign of King Fuad I, a committee was set up, comprising of several great architects, which eventually presented a report recommending a huge change, They wanted the destruction of the big main dome, the semi-domes, and the small domes, and then reconstructing them according to the original design. Between 1931 and 1939, the project, including demolition, building, and rebuilding, painting, and gilding, was undertaken; the total cost being 100,000 LE (about USD 560.00).
The main material used for the construction was limestone, but the lower parts of the Mosque and the forecourt are faced to a height of 11.5m with alabaster. When it was complete it was a marvel to behold.
The Mosque is rectangular in shape and consists of two sections:
The Western Section called the "Sahn" "or "Courtyard".
The Eastern Section or main section is called The "Beit al-Salah" or "House of Prayer".
The eastern section is the part that was dedicated to prayer. It is square in shape, each side measuring 41m, and has a roof with a central dome (52m in height) resting on four large arches supported by massive piers. Surrounding the big central dome there are four half domes, while four more small domes are covering the corners.
The marble mihrab is covered by a half-dome at the lower level. The domes are pointed and covered with medallions and other motifs.
The interior dome is impressive because of its size and shape, similar to the Mosques of Istanbul. There are 6 medallions around the dome, which include the names of Allah and Mohamed (the Prophet), as well as the names of the four rightly guided Caliphs, namely Abou Bakr, Omar, Othman, and Ali.
The Mosque of Mohamed Ali Basha is one of the most commonly visited mosques in all of Egypt. In fact, it might even be the most visited mosque in the country.
There are several reasons why the mosque has proved to be so popular, over and above the fact that it’s such an elegant site. For example, the mosque also has extraordinary high minarets, the view one gets from the top of the minarets is second to none. Visitors can see practically the entire city, including the Giza Plateau.
The mosque has 2 Minbars or pulpits; the original one is larger and made of wood decorated with gilded ornaments, while the smaller one is of marble; it was gifted to the mosque by King Farouk in 1939 A.D.
Above the entrance is a monumental gallery supported on marble pillars with a stunning bronze balustrade. To the right of the entrance is the white marble tomb of Mohamed Ali, adorned with floral motifs and pointed and gilded inscriptions.
Egypt welcomes you with its mighty Nile along the Nile valley as you will be exploring the Luxor east and west bank tour. and marvelous monuments with Cairo Top Tours which is ready to offer our guests, the best trips in Egypt and Egypt itineraries to discover most of the important things to do in Cairo, Most visitors will make a beeline straight to the most famous sightseeing the Great Pyramid of Khufu, Adventurers, backpackers, and travel bloggers could join one of our Egypt budget tours traversing the Sahara Desert, like Siwa tours from Cairo for instance or preferably the White Desert tours Egypt
Originally, Muhamed Ali was not buried in his mosque. Later, though, during the time of king Abbas I (1849-1854), his body was transferred from Housh El Basha to the inside of the mosque where it rests inside the bronze grill.
Egypt Travel Packages and Egypt day tours including Salah El Din Citadel and more things to be done in most Egyptian cities in Cairo:
- Aswan Tours | Aswan Excursions | Aswan Day Tours | Aswan Sightseeing tours.
- Egypt Travel Packages | Egypt Tours Packages.
= Egypt Excursions | The 10 Best Day Tours in Egypt.
- Egypt Shore Excursions 2020\2021 | The 10 Best Excursions (From Egyptian Ports).
- Cairo Day Tours | Cairo Day Trips | Cairo Excursions | Cairo Sightseeing Tours | Things to do in Cairo.
- Cairo Day Tours from Airport | Day Tours from Cairo Airport | Cairo transit tours | Cairo Layover.
- Cairo Half Day Tours | Cairo Private Tours.
- Cairo Overnight Tours | Cairo Layover tours.
- Egypt Pyramids Tours | Giza Pyramids Tours | Tours in Giza.
- Luxor tours | Luxor Excursions | Luxor day Tours | Luxor Day Trips | Luxor Sightseeing tours.
- Sharm El Sheikh Day Tours | Sharm El Sheikh excursions | Things to do in Sharm.
- Hurghada Day Tours | Day Tours From Hurghada | Hurghada Excursions.
- Alexandria Shore Excursions | Shore Excursions from Alexandria port.
- Port Said Shore Excursions | Shore Excursions from Port Said.
- Shore Excursions from Safaga Port | Safaga shore excursions.
- Shore Excursions from Sokhna Port | Sokhna Port Shore Excursions.
- Jordan Tours 2020\2021 | Jordan Holidays.
- 2 Day Trips to Cairo and Alexandria from Alexandria Port.
- Day Trip to the Pyramids & the Nile.
- Alexandria shore excursion tours.
- 2 Days Trip to Cairo from Alexandria.
- Pyramids Tour from Cairo Airport.
- Day Tour to Giza Pyramids, Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara, and Dahshur | Pyramids Tour.
- Camel Tour around the famous Giza Pyramids.
- Cairo and the Nile by Air 8 Days 7 Nights
- Pyramids, Nile Cruise & Sharm El Sheikh
- Tour to Giza pyramids, the Egyptian Museum, Old Cairo and Khan El Khalili
- Pyramids Tour from Cairo Airport
- Half-Day Tour to Egyptian Museum
- Day tour to Giza pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Day tour to Giza pyramids & Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara and Dahshur.
- Cairo day tour to Saqqara, Memphis and Dahshur.
- Tour to Giza Pyramids.
- Cairo day to tour to Saqqara and Memphis.
- Old Cairo Tour | Egyptian Museum Tour.
- Day Tour to Giza Pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Quad Biking around Giza Pyramids.
- Mount Sinai Tours from Cairo.
- Day Tour to El Fayoum from Cairo.
- Cairo Stopover Transit Tour.
- Cairo Short Break | Cairo city break.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids, Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara and Dahshur.
- Half day tour to Giza Pyramids and Sphinx.
- Bahariya Oasis and White Desert tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Luxor from Cairo by flight.
- 2 Days Safari to the white desert and bahariya oasis tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Alexandria from Cairo.
- 3 Days Bahariya Oasis Tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Alexandria from Cairo.
- Cairo Stopover Tour.
- Cairo Layover Tours to Giza Pyramids and Sphinx from Cairo airport.
- Giza Pyramids sound and light show.
- Felucca Ride on the Nile in Cairo.
- Nile Dinner Cruise in Cairo.
- Coptic and Islamic Cairo Tour.
- Snorkeling trip to Ain Sokhna from Cairo.
- Day Tour to the Red Sea El Ain El Sokhna from Cairo.
- El Alamein Day Tour from Cairo.
- Suez Canal Day Trip from Cairo.
- Day tour to the Camel Market in Cairo.
- Pharaonic Village tour in Cairo.
- Day tour to Tanis, Bubastis and the Suez Canal from Cairo.
- Two days trip to El Minya from Cairo.
- Cairo day tour to Saqqara, Memphis and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Half day tour to the Egyptian Museum.
- Tanoura dance show in Cairo.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids and Saqqara Necropolis from Cairo.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids and Memphis City.
- Cairo Day Trip to Giza Pyramids and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Cairo Day Tour to Sakkara and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Tour to Giza Pyramids and Meidum from Cairo.
- Siwa Oasis from Cairo.
- Cairo by Night Tour.
- Nile Cruise Cairo Lunch.
- Cairo Shopping Tour.
- Tour to Pyramids, Egyptian Museum and Coptic Cairo.
- Egypt classic tours | Classic Packages to Egypt.
- 8 Days Cairo and the Nile Cruise by Air | Travel Packages in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Alexandria tour package | Egypt Package Tour from Cairo.
- 7 Days Cairo and Sharm El Sheikh Tour | Egypt Vacation Packages.
- 13 Days Cairo, Nile Cruise and The Oasis Tour | the best of Egypt holidays all inclusive.
- Cairo and White Desert Adventure Tour | Egypt Vacations.
- Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan | Egypt Nile Cruise Luxor and Aswan.
- 3 Days Cairo Stopover | Cairo Short Break | Egypt Short Vacation.
- 4 Days Cairo Short Break Tour | Cairo Stopover | Egypt Short Vacation.
- Cairo, Nile Cruise and Red Sea Tour.
- Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Aswan holiday package.
- 7 Days Cairo and The Nile Cruise Vacation | Travel package in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Luxor Vacation | Tour Packages in Egypt.
- 6 Days Cairo and Nile Cruise Vacation | 6 Days holiday Package in Egypt.
- Vacation Packages to Egypt | Pyramids, Nile Cruise, and Sharm El Sheikh Tour Package.
- 12 Days Cairo, Alexandria, The Nile Cruise and Hurghada Travel.
- 10 Days Egypt private tour package | Egypt Budget Tours.
- 10 Days Package to Egypt | Egypt 10 Days Itinerary.
- 11 Days Egypt Tour | 11 Day s Egypt Itinerary.
- Egypt Luxury Tours | Luxury Egypt Tour Packages | Best of Egypt Tours.
- 8 Days Egypt and the Nile Cruise Luxury Tour.
- Egypt Luxury Tour 12 Days to Cairo Nile Cruise and The Red Sea | Egypt Luxury tour packages.
- 12 Days Cairo, Nile Cruise and Lake Nasser Cruise Luxury Tour.
- 10 Days and The Nile Cruise Luxury Tour | Egypt Luxury Vacations.
- 8 Days Cairo and Dahabeya Luxury Travel | Egypt Luxury Private Tours.
- Cairo, Aswan and Luxor Travel in style | Egypt Luxury Travel.
- 12 Days Cairo, Alexandria, The Nile Cruise and Hurghada Luxury Travel.
- 10 Days Egypt Luxury Tour Package | Luxury Egypt Tours.
- 10 Days Luxury Package to Egypt | Egypt 10 days Luxury Itinerary.
- 11 Days Egypt Luxury Tour | Luxury Egypt Tour Package.
- Egypt Christmas tours 2020\2021 | The best Egypt new year tours (Christmas packages).
- 9 days Cairo and Xmas Nile Cruise by Train | Egypt Christmas Holidays 2020\2021.
- 8 Days Cairo and Christmas Nile Cruise by Flight | Egypt Christmas and New Year tours 2020\2021.
- New Year in Egypt 2020\2021 Holidays and Nile Cruise | Egypt Christmas Holidays.
- 4 Days Cairo Short Break during Christmas.
- Cairo, The Nile and Hurghada Christmas Travel | Egypt Christmas tours.