The Citadel Of Saladin is the iconic picture of Islamic Cairo that was built by Salah El-Din El Ayouby, at the end of the 12th century, He was a famous leader, as well as the founder of the Ayyubid Dynasty. The citadel is an indispensable part of all Cairo Day Tours and especially the Islamic Cairo tour when you travel to Egypt and also of the must things to do in Cairo and you will have the opportunity to experience those when booking one of our Cairo Stopover Tours.
Saladin was starting to build the Citadel but he passed away before it was finished so his son who completed the Citadel, and his son was the first one ruled Egypt from the citadel until Mohmed Ali the19 century
It has beheld enormous historical events throughout Egyptian history and was for many centuries the seat of the king and his government in Egypt. The Ayyubids, the Mamluks, and some Ottomans had a turn ruling over Egypt from the citadel.
Salah El-Din Al-Ayoubi Castle is considered one of the most luxurious military castles constructed in the Middle Ages, and it is considered one of the most important landmarks of Islamic Cairo, located in the "Castle" neighborhood, on one of the hills separated from Mount Mokattam, on the outskirts of Cairo, the unique location that made it a barrier. Consistently high between the cities of Cairo and Fustat, so it was possible to communicate between the castle and the city in the event of any siege.
Saladin decided that Cairo should have a fortified citadel to guard the city against unexpected future foreign attacks, Especially during the threat of the crusaders, who were carrying military campaigns towards the Middle East during this time. He found many revelations in the Lebanese and Syrian citadels due to how fortified and protective they were, recognizing the importance of having a massive citadel to protect Cairo, he sent all his resources to create the military structure.
Muhammed Ali mosque:
When Muhammed Ali came to power, he was determined to remove all traces of the influence of the Mamluks, who controlled Egypt for six consecutive centuries and demolished their palaces within the fortress. Muhammed Ali also built one of Cairo’s most famous landmarks.
The astounding Mosque of Mohamed Ali or the Alabaster Mosque was built in the memory of a deceased son, towers over the rest of the complex. furthermore to this huge mosque, the Citadel as well includes, full of uniforms and weapons from Egypt's long history, the National Military Museum, Police Museum, and several more museums allowed to the palace of Muhammed Ali.
The castle has four gates, the old door was known as the door of Mokattam, because it is adjacent to the Mokattam tower, which dates back to the Ottoman era, and this door was also known as the door of the mountain to supervise the door of Mokattam mountain. From the periods, it was a rectangular opening in a very thick wall towards the south of the Mokattam tower, and on this door was a memorial plaque bearing the foundational text in the Turkish language in the name Yakon Pasha and the date of construction of the door and the palace dates back to 1785 AD.
In 1827, Muhammad Ali Pasha began building the new door to be used in place of the inserted door, which was the main door of the castle and was created by Nasser Salahuddin Al-Ayyubi in 1183. Wheels, instead he built a new door and paved a sloping path for it to make it easier to get to and descend from the castle. This road is known today as the New Gate Street or the quarry railway.
As for the middle section, a mention came in one of the books of the French orientalist, "Paul Casanova" in 1894, in which he said that this section would be called "The Wastani", because he mediates the two major religions with the Royal Monsters, the Qaitbay, and Diwan al-Ghuri, and some researchers mentioned that he was known as the Wastani It separates the vestibule of the public naval citadel from the courtyards in which the Al-Nasir Muhammad Ibn Qalawun Mosque is located, and the Mosque of Muhammad Ali Pasha.
One of the important military installations that completed the role of the citadel in the Middle Ages, the wall that Salah Al-Din built around Cairo to defend against any external aggression, is the wall that was recently discovered. After Salah al-Din (1171 - 1193 AD) ruled Egypt, he cared for the construction of the area Outside Fatimid Cairo between Bab Zuweila and the Mosque of Ahmed Ibn Tulun, it was divided into several lines, including the Red Path, which is still known by this name to this day. This area is topped by the Mosque of Al-Saleh Tala'i ibn Razik, which is considered the last vestige of the Fatimid era in Egypt.
Planning any tours to Egypt? or from our varieties of tours from Cairo, you can easily see Saladin Citadel with Cairo Top Tours.
Egypt Travel Packages and Cairo Day Tours including Salah El Din Citadel in Cairo and other amazing highlights of Egypt:
- Cairo and the Nile by Air 8 Days 7 Nights
- Pyramids, Nile Cruise & Sharm El Sheikh
- Tour to Giza pyramids, the Egyptian Museum, Old Cairo and Khan El Khalili
- Pyramids Tour from Cairo Airport
- Half-Day Tour to Egyptian Museum
- Day tour to Giza pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Day tour to Giza pyramids & Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara and Dahshur.
- Cairo day tour to Saqqara, Memphis, and Dahshur.
- Tour to Giza Pyramids.
- Cairo day to tour to Saqqara and Memphis.
- Old Cairo Tour | Egyptian Museum Tour.
- Day Tour to Giza Pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Quad Biking around Giza Pyramids.
- Mount Sinai Tours from Cairo.
- Day Tour to El Fayoum from Cairo.
- Cairo Stopover Transit Tour.
- Cairo Short Break.
- Cairo city break.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids, Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara and Dahshur.
- Half-day tour to Giza Pyramids and Sphinx.
- Bahariya Oasis and White Desert tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Luxor from Cairo by flight.
- 2 Days Safari to the white desert and Bahariya oasis tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Alexandria from Cairo.
- 3 Days Bahariya Oasis Tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Alexandria from Cairo.
- Cairo Stopover Tour.
- Cairo Layover Tours to Giza Pyramids and Sphinx from Cairo airport.
- Giza Pyramids sound and light show.
- Felucca Ride on the Nile in Cairo.
- Nile Dinner Cruise in Cairo.
- Coptic and Islamic Cairo Tour.
- Snorkeling trip to Ain Sokhna from Cairo.
- Day Tour to the Red Sea El Ain El Sokhna from Cairo.
- El Alamein Day Tour from Cairo.
- Suez Canal Day Trip from Cairo.
- Day tour to the Camel Market in Cairo.
- Pharaonic Village tour in Cairo.
- Day tour to Tanis, Bubastis and the Suez Canal from Cairo.
- Two days trip to El Minya from Cairo.
- Cairo day tour to Saqqara, Memphis and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Half-day tour to the Egyptian Museum.
- Tanoura dance show in Cairo.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids and Saqqara Necropolis from Cairo.
- Day tour to Giza Pyramids and Memphis City.
- Cairo Day Trip to Giza Pyramids and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Cairo Day Tour to Sakkara and Dahshur Pyramids.
- Tour to Giza Pyramids and Meidum from Cairo.
- Siwa Oasis from Cairo.
- Cairo by Night Tour.
- Nile Cruise Cairo Lunch.
- Cairo Shopping Tour.
- Tour to Pyramids, Egyptian Museum and Coptic Cairo.
- Egypt classic tours | Classic Packages to Egypt.
- 8 Days Cairo and the Nile Cruise by Air | Travel Packages in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Alexandria tour package | Egypt Package Tour from Cairo.
- 7 Days Cairo and Sharm El Sheikh Tour | Egypt Vacation Packages.
- 13 Days Cairo, Nile Cruise, and The Oasis Tour | the best of Egypt holidays all-inclusive.
- Cairo and White Desert Adventure Tour | Egypt Vacations.
- Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan | Egypt Nile Cruise Luxor and Aswan.
- 3 Days Cairo Stopover | Cairo Short Break | Egypt Short Vacation.
- 4 Days Cairo Short Break Tour | Cairo Stopover | Egypt Short Vacation.
- Cairo, Nile Cruise and Red Sea Tour.
- Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor, and Aswan holiday package.
- 7 Days Cairo and The Nile Cruise Vacation | Travel package in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Luxor Vacation | Tour Packages in Egypt.
- 6 Days Cairo and Nile Cruise Vacation | 6 Days holiday Package in Egypt.
- Vacation Packages to Egypt | Pyramids, Nile Cruise, and Sharm El Sheikh Tour Package.
- 12 Days Cairo, Alexandria, The Nile Cruise, and Hurghada Travel.
- 10 Days Egypt private tour package | Egypt Budget Tours.
- 10 Days Package to Egypt | Egypt 10 Days Itinerary.
- 11 Days Egypt Tour | 11 Day s Egypt Itinerary.
- Egypt Luxury Tours | Luxury Egypt Tour Packages | Best of Egypt Tours.
- 8 Days Egypt and the Nile Cruise Luxury Tour.
- Egypt Luxury Tour 12 Days to Cairo Nile Cruise and The Red Sea | Egypt Luxury tour packages.
- 12 Days Cairo, Nile Cruise, and Lake Nasser Cruise Luxury Tour.
- 10 Days and The Nile Cruise Luxury Tour | Egypt Luxury Vacations.
- 8 Days Cairo and Dahabeya Luxury Travel | Egypt Luxury Private Tours.
- Cairo, Aswan and Luxor Travel in style | Egypt Luxury Travel.
- 12 Days Cairo, Alexandria, The Nile Cruise, and Hurghada Luxury Travel.
- 10 Days Egypt Luxury Tour Package | Luxury Egypt Tours.
- 10 Days Luxury Package to Egypt | Egypt 10 days Luxury Itinerary.
- 11 Days Egypt Luxury Tour | Luxury Egypt Tour Package.
- Egypt Christmas tours 2020\2021 | The best Egypt new year tours (Christmas packages).
- 9 days Cairo and Xmas Nile Cruise by Train | Egypt Christmas Holidays 2020.
- 8 Days Cairo and Christmas Nile Cruise by Flight | Egypt Christmas and New Year tours 2020\2021.
- New Year in Egypt 2020\2021 Holidays and Nile Cruise | Egypt Christmas Holidays.
- 4 Days Cairo Short Break during Christmas.
- Cairo, The Nile and Hurghada Christmas Travel | Egypt Christmas tours.
- 10 Days Egypt Christmas Package Tour.
- 10 Days Egypt Christmas tour package.
- 5 Days Cairo and Luxor Holiday during the Christmas | Egypt Christmas Travel | Egypt Christmas and New Year Tours.
- 11 Day Egypt Christmas Tour Package | Christmas tours in Egypt.
- MS Mayfair Christmas Nile Cruise Tours | Xmas and New Year Nile Cruises.
- Special Offers Egypt Holidays | Egypt Hot Deals.
- Egypt Tour Itineraries | Itineraries in Egypt
- Egypt Itinerary 1 Day Tour | Cairo 1 Day Itinerary
- Egypt 3 Days Itinerary | Egypt Itinerary 3 Days
- Egypt Itinerary 4 Days | 4 Days in Egypt Itinerary
- Egypt 5 Days Itinerary | Egypt 5 Days Tour Package.