Exploring the landmarks of Cairo in 2 days allows you to immerse yourself in the city's rich history and culture. Here's a recommended itinerary for a two-day tour of Cairo:
Day 1: Historical and Ancient Cairo
The Egyptian Museum: Begin your day at the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir Square. Spend several hours exploring its extensive collection of ancient artifacts, including the treasures of Tutankhamun.
Tahrir Square: Take a walk in Tahrir Square, a historic site known for its role in Egyptian history.
3. Local Cuisine: Enjoy a traditional Egyptian meal at a local restaurant to savor the flavors of Egyptian cuisine.
4. Islamic Cairo: Explore the historic Islamic Cairo district. Visit landmarks such as the Sultan Hassan Mosque, Al-Rifa'i Mosque, and Al-Muizz Street, known for its well-preserved historic buildings and architecture.
Khan el-Khalili Bazaar: Stroll through Khan el-Khalili, one of the oldest bazaars in Cairo. Shop for souvenirs, spices, jewelry, and immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere.
Day 2: Modern and Contemporary Cairo
6. Salah El-Din Citadel: Start your second day at the Salah El-Din Citadel, a historic fortress that offers panoramic views of Cairo. Explore its various structures, including the Mosque of Muhammad Ali (Alabaster Mosque).
Coptic Cairo: Visit Coptic Cairo, including the Hanging Church (Saint Virgin Mary's Coptic Orthodox Church), Coptic Museum, and the Church of St. Sergius and Bacchus.
8. Local Cuisine: Enjoy another delicious Egyptian meal at a local restaurant.
9. Nile River Cruise: Take a leisurely cruise on the Nile River. Many cruises offer lunch or dinner options, along with scenic views of the river and the city.
Modern Cairo: Explore modern Cairo with visits to areas like Zamalek and Garden City. These neighborhoods feature upscale shopping, dining, and cultural attractions.
Optional Evening Activity:
11. Sound and Light Show at the Pyramids: If you still have energy, consider attending the Sound and Light Show at the Giza Pyramids in the evening. It offers a captivating narrative of Egypt's history against the backdrop of the illuminated pyramids.