It was built in two different periods, which is between 1869 and 1912, therefore it is characterized by different artistic and architectural styles. Next to it stands the much better known Sultan Hassan Mosque, dating back to the 14th century, which has remained intact despite the troubled centuries of history.
The colossal size of the mosque is most striking. It is counted as one of the major things to do in Cairo and is located in Midan El Qala’a, right below the Citadel of Salah El -Din in the most central part of Islamic Cairo. You can reach the Mosque of Al Rifa’i through a mutual entrance shared by the two mosques this one and the mosque of Sultan Hassan.
Many famous people are buried here in Al Rifai Mosque, a lot of them belong to Mohammed Ali family-like Kushyar Hanim, who ordered its construction in 1869, and her son the famous Khedive Ismail, who has refurbished Cairo and most of Egypt as well as Sudan which used to be part of the Egyptian kingdom. The mosque also hosted the deceased body of Mohammed Reza Pahlavi Shah Pahlavi, renowned for being the final Shah of Iran before the Islamic Revolution, which brought about the Khomeini rule. In the same burial room lies the Shah’s son, Mohamed Reza Pahlavi, who died in 1980 while in exile in Cairo. Another notable figure buried here was Yehya Al Ansari, a guide of the Prophet Mohamed ( peace be upon him) and local saint Ali Abu-Shubbak. Although not technically buried in the mosque Sheikh Ali Al Rifai, who was a leading figure in Islamic Cairo during medieval times, has a shrine where many locals come until this day to pray and receive some of his blessings. Before the massive reconstruction, Al Rifai Mosque was located at the site of a small mosque named Rifai Zawiya and was believed to bring about many of the renowned scholar’s followers and students, you can visit the mosque during any of the regular Cairo Day Tours
Perhaps you will choose to walk to the mosque from the castle of Salah El-Din Street, and there is an interesting view of the ancient Egyptian houses awaiting appreciation. You can also get close to the mosque via Sayeda Aisha Street, which will also lead you to the main gate. It is a double gate shared by both Al-Rifai and Sultan Hassan, you will need to pass it through the security scanner or detector. The two mosques are separated by a relatively narrow pedestrian street, and the massive structure of the Al-Rifai Mosque should not be surprising if its size and ability to compete with the neighboring Sultan Hassan Mosque, had been of utmost importance.
When you walk shortly towards the entrance of the Al Rifai mosque, a high staircase takes you to a huge portal. As a kind of respect and to avoid confusion, visitors to the mosque should be ready to remove the shoes before you enter, and the ladies are kindly requested to wear unrevealing clothes and they can bring along a headscarf.
The mosque has a great similarity in many of the modern structures. Once inside, one can only notice the beautiful ceiling. Gold was specially imported from Turkey for gilding. Visitors should feel free to wander around inside this architectural marvel. We suggest you visit the burial places of Khedive Ismail and Reza Shah Pahlavi.
Once you are done with the viewing of these Islamic patterns, feel free to run your hands across the shrine of Al Rifai marked by green lights in the room right in the middle of the mosque. You can even read your prayers or make a wish that will be surely fulfilled! If you are visiting the mosque on a Friday morning it will be most of the time quiet and empty.
Egypt welcomes you with its mighty Nile along the Nile valley as you will be exploring the Luxor east and west bank tour. and marvelous monuments with Cairo Top Tours which is ready to offer our guests, the best trips in Egypt and Egypt itineraries to discover most of the important things to do in Cairo, Most visitors will make a beeline straight to the most famous sightseeing the Great Pyramid of Khufu, Adventurers, backpackers, and travel bloggers could join one of our Egypt budget tours traversing the Sahara Desert, like Siwa tours from Cairo for instance or preferably the White Desert tours Egypt
Visiting Al Rifai Mosque will familiarize you with the era of Egypt’s once long-lasting monarchy, and its rich Islamic background. By viewing the tombs of King Farouk, the last king of Egypt, and Mohammed Reza Shah Pahlavi, the last Shah of Iran, it helps form a better understanding of both the Iranian and Egyptian conclusions to their monarchies. Perhaps in these times, it’s best to look back; to analyze and learn past leaders to get a tiny glimpse of the possible future.
Visit Islamic Cairo and much more interesting places during our Travel packages in Egypt like:
- 13 days Cairo, Nile cruise and the Oasis tour.
- Cairo short break.
- 6 days Cairo and Nile Cruise Vacation.
- 7 days Cairo, Luxor, and Aswan holiday package.
See the mosques of Islamic Egypt including Al - Refae Mosque during a variety of Cairo Day tours like :
- Islamic Cairo In-Depth Tour.
- Giza and Cairo tour.
- Tour to Giza Pyramids and Islamic Cairo.
- Walking tour in Cairo.
Ibn Tulun Mosque and El Refae mosque, as well as many other mosques and sites, can be briefly visited during Cairo layover tours like:
- Sonesta St. George Nile Cruise | Egypt Nile River Cruise Holidays.
- Sonesta MS Moon Goddess Nile Cruise.
- MS Amwaj living stone Nile Cruise | Nile Cruise Luxor Aswan.
- MS Esplanade Nile Cruise | Luxury Nile Cruise Aswan to Luxor.
- Movenpick MS Royal Lily Nile Cruise from Aswan to Luxor.
- MS Royal Princess Egypt Nile River Cruise | Nile Cruise Aswan Luxor.
- MS Steigenberger Legacy Nile Cruise | Egypt Nile Cruise Luxor to Aswan.
- MS Tulip Nile Cruise | Aswan to Luxor Nile Cruise Egypt.
- MS Alexander the Great Nile Cruise.
- MS Al Jamila Nile cruise | Nile Cruise Egypt.
- MS Al Kahila Nile Cruise Luxor to Aswan | Nile Cruise Holiday.
- MS Oberoi Philae Nile Cruise | Luxury Nile Cruises.
- MS Blue Shadow Nile Cruise | Aswan to Luxor Nile River Cruise.
- Sonesta Amirat Dahabeya Nile Cruise | Dahabiya Cruise from Aswan to Luxor.
- Merit Dahabeya Nile Cruise | Merit Dahabiya Nile Cruise.
- MS Blue Shadow Nile Cruise Tours Luxor to Aswan.
- 4 Days MS Lofian Nile Cruise from Aswan to Luxor.
- Movenpick MS Darakum Nile Cruise Tours | Luxor Aswan Nile Cruises.
- MS Sunray Nile Cruise Aswan To Luxor.
- Special Offers Egypt Holidays | Egypt Hot Deals.
- Egypt Desert Safari Adventure | Egypt Desert Safari Trips to Siwa and the Oases.
- Desert Safari Trip to Bahariya Oasis and the White Desert | White Desert Egypt Tour.
- Cairo, Oasis and Nile Cruise Tour Package | Egypt Desert Tours.
- Siwa, Bahariya and White Desert Tour Package | Siwa Oasis tour package from Cairo.
- White Desert Egypt Tour | Safari Trip to Bahariya Oasis and White Desert.
- 2 Days Budget Tour to Bahariya Oasis and White Desert.
- Siwa Oasis Desert Safari from Cairo 5 Days 4 Nights.
- Desert Safari Trip to Wadi El Rayan and Wadi Hitan.
- Siwa Oasis Tour from Cairo | Siwa Oasis Desert Safari.
- Cairo to White Desert and Bahariya Oasis Tour | White Desert Egypt Tour - Egypt Itinerary 1 Day Tour | Cairo 1 Day Itinerary - Egypt 3 Days Itinerary | Egypt Itinerary 3 Days
- Egypt Tour Itineraries | Itineraries in Egypt.
- Aswan Tours | Aswan Excursions | Aswan Day Tours | Aswan Sightseeing tours.
- Egypt Travel Packages | Egypt Tours Packages.
= Egypt Excursions | The 10 Best Day Tours in Egypt.
- Egypt Shore Excursions 2020\2021 | The 10 Best Excursions (From Egyptian Ports).
- Cairo Tours | Cairo Day Trips | Cairo Excursions | Cairo Sightseeing Tours | Things to do in Cairo.
- Cairo Day Tours from Airport | Day Tours from Cairo Airport | Cairo transit tours | Cairo Layover.
- Cairo Half Day Tours | Cairo Private Tours.
- Cairo Overnight Tours | Cairo Layover tours.
- Egypt Pyramids Tours | Giza Pyramids Tours | Tours in Giza.
- Luxor tours | Luxor Excursions | Luxor day Tours | Luxor Day Trips | Luxor Sightseeing tours.
- Sharm El Sheikh Day Tours | Sharm El Sheikh excursions | Things to do in Sharm.
- Hurghada Day Tours | Day Tours From Hurghada | Hurghada Excursions.
- Dahab Excursions | Dahab Safari Day Tours.
- Alexandria Shore Excursions | Shore Excursions from Alexandria port.
- Port Said Shore Excursions | Shore Excursions from Port Said.
- Shore Excursions from Safaga Port | Safaga shore excursions.
- Shore Excursions from Sokhna Port | Sokhna Port Shore Excursions.
- Sharm El Sheikh Shore Excursions | Tours from Sharm Elsheikh Port.
- Jordan Tours 2020\2021 | Jordan Holidays.
- Pyramids Tour from Cairo Airport.
- Day tour to Giza pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Day tour to Giza pyramids & Sphinx, Memphis, Saqqara and Dahshur.
- Cairo day tour to Saqqara, Memphis and Dahshur.
- Tour to Giza Pyramids.
- Day Tour to Giza Pyramids, Memphis and Saqqara.
- Mount Sinai Tours from Cairo.
- Cairo Stopover Transit Tour.
- Cairo Short Break | Cairo city break.
- Half day tour to Giza Pyramids and Sphinx.
- Bahariya Oasis and White Desert tour from Cairo.
- Day trip to Luxor from Cairo by flight.
- Day trip to Alexandria from Cairo.
- Cairo Stopover Tour.
- Snorkeling trip to Ain Sokhna from Cairo.
- Suez Canal Day Trip from Cairo.
- Siwa Oasis from Cairo.
- Egypt classic tours | Classic Packages to Egypt.
- 8 Days Cairo and the Nile Cruise by Air | Travel Packages in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Alexandria tour package | Egypt Package Tour from Cairo.
- 7 Days Cairo and Sharm El Sheikh Tour | Egypt Vacation Packages.
- 13 Days Cairo, Nile Cruise and The Oasis Tour | the best of Egypt holidays all inclusive.
- Cairo and White Desert Adventure Tour | Egypt Vacations.
- Nile Cruise from Luxor to Aswan | Egypt Nile Cruise Luxor and Aswan.
- 3 Days Cairo Stopover | Cairo Short Break | Egypt Short Vacation.
- 4 Days Cairo Short Break Tour | Cairo Stopover | Egypt Short Vacation.
- Cairo, Nile Cruise and Red Sea Tour.
- Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Aswan holiday package.
- 7 Days Cairo and The Nile Cruise Vacation | Travel package in Egypt.
- 5 Days Cairo and Luxor Vacation | Tour Packages in Egypt.
- 6 Days Cairo and Nile Cruise Vacation | 6 Days holiday Package in Egypt.
- Vacation Packages to Egypt | Pyramids, Nile Cruise, and Sharm El Sheikh Tour Package.
- 12 Days Cairo, Alexandria, The Nile Cruise and Hurghada Travel.
- 10 Days Egypt private tour package | Egypt Budget Tours.
- 10 Days Package to Egypt | Egypt 10 Days Itinerary.
- 11 Days Egypt Tour | 11 Day s Egypt Itinerary.
- Egypt Luxury Tours | Luxury Egypt Tour Packages | Best of Egypt Tours.
- 8 Days Egypt and the Nile Cruise Luxury Tour.
- Egypt Christmas tours 2020\2021 | The best Egypt new year tours (Christmas packages).